Sunday 12 July 2009

So it's been a long time since I was here last.....again! Nothing much going on (as usual)...

However, I've been 'studying'...leisurely...the art of Seidr (pronounced 'saithe'; meaning "to seethe"); being the native English & Northern European shamanic tradition. It can be described as trance-work and is useful for meditation and healing. In saying healing I mean spiritually, not necessarily physical (though perhaps advanced practice may encompass this aspect.)

There are numerous ritual tools used in the practice; mainly the usual Heathen 'must haves', e.g. drinking horn, seax (single edged knife), blowing horn, hammer, staff; maybe a cloak; and definitely a rattle and a drum.

It is said that the practice of Seidr is to 'journey' into the 'other-world' to seek advice from the inhabitants; be they human form or animal, Fae-folk, elves....even plants or trees (and why not?...since all contain spirit.)

I see this act as a kind of self-hypnosis to begin with; where you imagine taking a prescribed route and end up in the 'other-world'...and as you get deeper into your trance/meditation/journey, your sub-conscious mind take over and you feel that you are 'there' for real.

Now, one way of 'getting into the zone' is to produce a rhythmic drumming sound with.....wait for it.....a drum! There's a music shop near me and every time I passed it I would ask if they had a Bodhran (Irish frame drum) ...eventually they got one..a fine 18in with a bag and a tipper (beater)...it was cheap(ish) so I bought it.

It's amazing how many different sounds you can get from one of these instruments! I love it! I've never played one before and have been messing around with this bodhran for several weeks and getting quite familiar with the skin.

They say that each drum has a 'spirit' which could be described as a particular reverberating sound that happens when you hit a certain part of the skin. I'm happy to say that I have found the one residing in my drum.

When I've got my head sorted out from the daily grind, I'm going to find time to study & practice this art of Seidr/Journeying/Pathworking.

Oh.....and dedicate more time to this ole blog!

BTW...if you are interested, here are two books on the subject.....

The Book of Seidr by Runic John: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Seidr-Northern-European-Tradition/dp/1861632290

Shamanic Links by Adam Bear: http://www.capallbann.co.uk/popup.cfm?p_n=452471&p_i=452471

2 comments:

v said...

Hey! Good to see you. I think we're connected some how, Stu. Yesterday I just bought a book called, "The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft" and the companion CD with guided meditations, drumming and other trance work. Seriously.

At the moment I've let go of devotion to any particular path, gods or way and am embracing the energies I find in my own body and the inspiration that has always been with me. Namely, my emotional, intuitive nature combined with my always and everywhere love of the element water and the moon. No matter how hard I try I keep coming back to the idea that I'm not built to be a light but a mirror, like the moon reflecting the sun rather than producing light of it's own.

Rather than trying to grasp at the gods and spirits, I've decided to embrace my psychic gifts, my intuition and do some trance work and meditation and let the spirits and the World speak to me instead of me yammering at them! (: As much as I understand the issue of initiation, the words shaman, healer and witch just won't leave me be. Time to listen I think.

I'm happy for you too. I hope to hear more from you as your progress. I'd sure appreciate hearing about your growth in this new way.

BB

Stuart Leeds said...

Hi Granamyr, thanks for the comment!

I'm sure I've written somewhere that being a Heathen (for me personally) is more about living life than supplicating the favour of the gods!

Best to be yourself and discover ones own 'path' with the help & guidance of others (if needs be); as I said, be they human or nay.

I also think life changes constantly and with it ones interests and thoughts.

I wish you luck with 'embracing you psychic gifts'...sounds like fun.

Thanks for commenting.