Monday 4 May 2009

May Day

Today I met with some Heathen friends from HFP to celebrate May Day. I hadn't seen them since the Plough-Charming in January, so it was nice to meet again (most of us are scattered around South East England, so we don't meet much outside 'major' events/blots/celebrations).

130miles later I arrive at the agreed meeting place in a large expanse of public parkland and help to set up the "Jack-o'-the-green"/Green Man. The parade was acompanied with music played from a hurdie-gurdie and a drummer, which brought smiles from passers-by who whipped out their cameras and some asked questions about what we were doing. (Which shows how much of English tradition has been removed from the education curriculum in this country!)

After the parade we sat down to a hurried picnic and an equally rushed blot (due to the inclement weather!) calling upon the gods and goddesses of the sun/warmth/heat/light/spring/summer to do their stuff and make the season a good'un.

Although we packed up in light rainfall and a blustery wind, a good time was had by all!

and dammit.....i've mentioned the weather.....twice!

2 comments:

v said...

How cool that you meet up with people of like mind. When I was working on the Pagan path I never got to meet with any real people. (Real meaning offline.) Partly my fault but partly not. I'm shy yes, but I have no vehicle and my sis really shouldn't have to drive me to things like that. Meh. Maybe I was scared or something. Then sometimes I think I never felt I fit in because...deep down I didn't believe like they did. I wanted to but didn't. It's why I'm an Atheist right now. It feels...well natural to me and not forced like "theistic" beliefs felt. And I apologize if that seems rude. Not meaning to be, just being honest.

Anyways! Sounds like you had a good time. Hopefully we'll see you around more.

BB

Anonymous said...

Damn, sounds like a good time!