Saturday 25 July 2009

The Wicker Man

I've watched "The Wicker Man" again....the 1973 original....best ever.

Stirling performances by Edward Woodward as the overtly xian policeman, Christopher Lee as the heathen Lord Summerisle and of course; the beautiful, alluring Brit Ekland as Willow, the landlords daughter!

The film is full of pagan/heathen imagery, with music especially written for the film; which adds to the atmosphere as all good music for good movies does.

Apparently, the film ran out of budget early on in the shooting of it and Christopher Lee; by then a very much sought after actor, agreed to continue and finish the film for free!

I find the film quite powerful- in story line and performances, and wonder how many actors (if any at all) were affected by the meaning of it......indeed if any were pagans to begin with!

I recommend you all to watch it....and then compare it with the latest version (with Nicolas Cage, 2006) - in my opinion a poor relation; as much as I admire NCs movies this one did not quite cut it for me.

3 comments:

v said...

But isn't the movie about a bunch of crazy people who murder to fulfill their religious rites? I'm not so sure that's the kind of movie I want people watching about the old ways.

I can see some of the symbolism being cool or the scenery.

What about it do you like that specifically related to the old ways?

Stuart Leeds said...

OK, so the human sacrifice is extreme and probably was never done in England in the Elder Days. (LOL...I don't advocate it!)

The people were only considered 'crazies' by Howie (Woodward); who were living their lives according to their ways.

I don't think there's anything specific in relation to the old ways..it's probably just the symbolism and general practices seen in the film.

Howies abhorance of the peoples 'lack of faith' to xianity and rejection of 'his' god was strong throughout....and in my view, shows the behaviour of the church in general- then, and now (even if underlying the surface).

v said...

I did see part of the newer version of this film. I didn't like it.

No, I didn't think you were advocating human sacrifice! (:

I think it's hard for people to make good movies about non-Abrahamics. Monotheism is so a part of this culture that even if you don't grow up with religion, you still imbibe it. And I think a person will inevitably paint any religious group that isn't that with a negative brush. Christian propaganda, lies and distortion of history is who we can thank for that.

I mean come on, you notice how it's so wrong to utter a word against Judaism. People think you're weird if you're *not* one of "the big three". And they think you're down right silly if you follow the "old" gods. Atheists don't even *deal* with the beliefs of non-Abrahamic folk because they think it's just *so* ridiculous to even consider such a thing. The attitude is, "Well, of course Thor never existed. We *all* know that."