Sunday 4 January 2009

A Day of Renewal?

Today was supposed to be a day of renewal...in a spiritual sense.

The break from work over Yuletide was busier than I expected, or wanted, and although I've rested from my paid labour since December 19, I guess I should feel refreshed and ready to bounce back full of vitality and vigour.....but I don't!

On a 'spare' day last week or so, I took a leisurely stroll along the river that flows through this town. I stumbled upon a public footpath (not literally!) quite by mistake (I've only lived here 2 months) and discovered that it meandered through the countryside nearby and a fair distance, too.

(When I say I've lived here 2 months, I've actually worked in and around the area for several years, so I actually know it quite well...but you know what it's like when you're driving...you haven't the time or the ability to gaze at the view too much, lest you have an accident!)

So, about an hour or so into the walk....lovely it was, beautiful trees, long stretches of heathland, a few polite dog-walkers and wildlife galore.....I came across a sign that declared, "Hazelwood. NO Fires. Keep to the Footpaths. Take your litter HOME".

'Cool', thinks I, 'a wood'. But, due to the lateness of afternoon and knowing I had at least an hour to walk home, I decided to continue on the footpath to the next meadow and then make my way back.

In the days since, I have longed to return to "Hazelwood" and expected today, to do so. The purpose being to find a place close to nature to sit and reflect on the past year, my hopes for 2009, renew my spirits, seek counsel with my gods & goddesses, introduce myself and invite the landwights to join me...(YES, I TALK TO THE TREES!.....But only when there's no strangers in sight!...LOL...sometimes I hug them, too!)

But as lifes drudgery (clothes washing [by hand!], cleaning, tidying, recycling, food shopping) prevented me from doing so, I hope to tomorrow - it's my last day off because I have to wait in for a furniture delivery AND my Dad's coming over to help me to move a fridge into an awkward position, I hope above all hopes that the bed's delivered early and my dear old Dad's gone just after lunch!...(as much as I love hime, of course!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn. Another day I guess! A hazelwood. Would that be a wood of hazel trees?

v said...

This little area sounds wonderful. How fortunate you are to have such a place. Nothing wrong with hugging trees...I do it too. This year I hope to grow stronger in my Heathen ways but right now I feel like the newbie I am and I hope the gods understand my devotions are simple for a reason until I get more comfortable. Gods bless you, Stu! Keep in touch!

v said...

Ah, just had to say I love Dracula! What a great greeting on your page.